Friday, September 19, 2008

Football: West Virginia University at Colorado University, 09/18/08

I am a huge West Virginia University football fan. I don't miss a game on television ever, but I haven't been to one in person since I was a student there back in the mid 1990s.

Until last night.

My son, bless him, he is seven years old and a big Colorado University football fan. He was born here, he says, so logically he should cheer for them. He loves nothing more than to rub it in my face when my team loses, and to cheer when his wins. He went with me last night and had a blast. It was the perfect storm: his favorite team, my favorite team, his first college football game ever, and my first in over a decade-- and all right here in Boulder, Colorado. When would that ever happen again?

$102 per ticket, and I bought four of them.

I had originally intended to take Cindy and her son with me, but after I recently called for an end to our relationship I didn't feel it was appropriate (even though she would have still gone). Part of me felt rotten about that, but not so much. Amanda and her brother were then going to come instead but she canceled last week, ostensibly due to work obligations. However, I think the end result was much better: I took Matt (my friend and manager at work) and my new friend Elena. I could see myself liking Elena a lot, but it is true that we are still new and I should try to take things slowly and get to know her. I'm glad she came, though.


My thoughts on the game and West Virginia's program:

* The Mountaineers played much better in this game than the trouncing at East Carolina last week, which is a positive. It sucks that we took another hit in the L column, but I believe we may be turning the corner now.

* I didn't understand why coach Bill Stewart and his staff decided to make so many off-season changes to the West Virginia offense, but I think they are realizing that and trying to get back to what this particular unit does best. Taking a recipe for success and throwing it away made no sense to me.

* Pat White would be considered an awesome passer if he had any receivers that want to catch. If a ball hits a receiver in the hands and the ball is dropped, that receiver isn't doing his job. At all. Everyone is going to stack against the run unless we can get some downfield catches going on.

* The offensive line is soft. They got pushed around badly last week, and now here at Colorado they never got a jump on the defense when all we needed were inches. This is going to kill us if it isn't fixed fast, and has already lost us two games.

* The defense played much better in the second half. Kudos for the adjustments that were made.


I'm a CU fan as well (just not in this one game, hah). Dan Hawkins is clearly turning this program around for the better and I see Big 12 championships in the near future. The CU student section was loud, impressive, and well-coordinated.

My son ran for a long touchdown in his flag football league game on Tuesday night and thought that was the best thing ever. In the end, when everyone erupted in cheers and rushed the field at the CU game, he saw for the first time the glories of big-time success. Hopefully it will leave a taste in his mouth that he needs to whet often for the rest of his future, whether it's in football or whatever else he chooses to pursue.

--------------

In other news:

* Cindy has been e-mailing me at work the last couple of days, but I have been ignoring. I really don't want to restart talks with her. I'm so done with it.

* Amanda flipped out on me when I told her I was seeing someone (Elena), and hasn't spoken since. It's interesting how quickly the veil of 'friendship' was torn to shreds.

* Teresa is breaking Isaiah's little heart. I wish she would move back here and be a mother to him, but her sole motivation appears to be money and having her fun. It's going to devastate him when he finally realizes that she doesn't care for him at all. :(

-Ox.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home